Community Information

Town Clerk

Town Supervisor Town Board

Assessor's Office

2018 Tentative Assessment Rolls

Town and Village Court

Village of Argyle
Planning Board

Youth Commission

Argyle Central School
Animal Control Officer
Argyle EMS
Argyle Fire Dept.
Fire Prevention
Argyle Free Library
History of Argyle
Washington County

Town Clerk and Tax Collector

Shelley McKernon

Office phone: (518) 638-8681 ext. 10

Home phone: (518) 638-6194

Click here to E-mail the Townclerk

Deputy Town Clerk:

Renee Montero-Kober

Town office Location:

41 Main Street Municipal Building
Argyle, New York 12809
Office Phone: (518) 638-8681 ext. 10
Fax number : (518) 638-6823

Municipal Building Hours

Open 8:30 to 4:00PM Monday through Thursday and Friday 830 - 1PM Closed Holidays

Emergencies, or for an appointment (518) 638-6194

Shelley McKernon was elected Town Clerk in November 2011. Prior to the election, she was the appointed as Director of the Youth Commission.The Office of the Town Clerk also assists with the tax collection process for Town and County taxes.While Town Clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job.Laws mandate many additional duties, but many clerks go well beyond those mandates as they serve as a major source of information to all.

Listed below are the services and licenses available at the Town Clerk's office:

Notary Public

Notary services are available - Proper identification is required and you must appear and sign IN PERSON.

Building Permits

Building Permit Applications are available at the Town Clerks office. All permits must be signed by the Supervisor and then forwarded to Washington County Department of Code Enforcement office for final approval. For more information contact Washington County Building & Codes: (518) 746-2150.

Downloadable Building Permit Forms

Washington County BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION click here


ARGYLE Compliance Checklist click here

Driveway permits click here

Recording and Filing Officer

The Town Clerk attends all Town Board meetings and authors the minutes, which are retained as the official record of the activities of the Town Board. The Town Board minutes are available at the Clerk's office.

The Town Clerk maintains records of Ordinances, resignations, petitions, proof of publications, vouchers, zoning ordinances and maps, annual budgets, etc.

Registrar of Vital Statistics

The Town Clerk is the Appointing Officer and keeper of all birth, death, and marriage records within the Town, issuing birth, death, marriage, and burial permits, and conducts genealogical searches.

Election Coordinator

As Town Clerk we coordinate for Primary and General Elections, advising officials of what offices are up for election, proper storage of voting machines and equipment. We check to see if polling places are designated and set up for elections, filing notices of registration day and oversees State, Federal, and local elections.

Tax Collector

The Town Clerk/Tax Collector collects Town and County taxes during the local collection period.

Conservation Licenses

New York State law requires that you obtain a license in order to go hunting, fishing, trapping, bowhunting, or muzzleloading. Licenses are available from any Town Clerk's office or any licensing agency. Licenses must be processed in person. If you are purchasing a hunting license you will need proof of a previous license or you must present an educational certificate. You will be asked to show identification, such as a drivers license or other photo identification, for any license you purchase. Additional details on license types and fees may be found on the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website at

Dog Licenses

The issuance of a new dog license must be processed in person at the Town Clerk's office. To obtain a new dog license, a certificate of rabies vaccination from a licensed veterinarian must be presented. If the dog has been spayed or neutered, a certificate of verification must be presented. After presenting the certificate showing spaying or neutered, you will no longer have to present this document. After the application and appropriate certificates are filed and the license fee has been paid, the license will be validated for one year by the Clerk's Office. Each dog is assigned a permanent official identification (ID) number and issued a metal ID tag which is to be attached to the dog's collar.

Licenses must be renewed on an annual basis - one year from the month the original license was purchased. License renewal forms will be mailed directly to the dog owner by the Department of Agriculture and Markets by the first day of the month that your license is due to expire. Renewals can be completed through the mail. The owner must sign the renewal application, return all three parts of the license, and the required remittance. The Town Clerk will process the license and mail your receipt copy back to you. Proof of rabies vaccine must be presented if the vaccine has expired since the last time you licensed your dog.

Specific details may be obtained from New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets website at

If you move into or out of our Town or if the dog is transferred to a new owner or becomes deceased, please contact us at (518) 638-8681 ext. 10 so we can make the changes to the Dog License.

License fees for dogs in the Town of Argyle are as follows:
Spayed/Neutered - $ 8 per year
Unspayed/Unneutered - $ 15 per year

The Dog Control Officer

Ed Holland - Deputy Dog Officer - Nancy Quell

You may contact them at (518) 692-2840.

The Town of Argyle has the following fines if your dog is picked up:
1st offense : $ 30.00 pickup fee plus $ 15.00 for each additional 24 hours or part thereof.
2nd offense: $ 40.00 pickup fee plus $ 15.00 per each additional 24 hours or part thereof.
3rd offense : $ 60.00 pickup fee plus $ 15.00 per each additional 24 hours or part thereof.

Weekend and Town Holidays: An additional $ 5.00 will be added to the impoundment fee.

Should your dog need emergency medical attention, the Dog Control Officer will care for your animal and charge you any additional veterinary fees over the pickup costs and boarding fees.

For additional information see the Dog Control site located on our home page.

Marriage Licenses

Licenses must be processed with both the groom and bride in person at the Town Municipal Building or in front of the Town Clerk. Marriage licenses are only valid in New York State.

The marriage ceremony may not take place within 24 hours from the exact time that the license is issues.

The marriage license is only valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it is issued.

If both applicants are 18 years of age or older, no consents are required.

Proof of age is required and if there has been a previous marriage, a certified copy of the Decree of Divorce, Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage, or Spouse's Death Certificate must be presented for all previous marriages at the time of obtaining the new license.

The fee for marriage licenses in the Town of Argyle is $ 40.00 this fee includes one certified Marriage Certificate. Additional Certified Marriage Certificates are available for $ 10.00. The Town of Argyle has two Justices that are available to perform ceremonies.

Additional details may be obtained from the New York State Department of Health website at

Games of Chance/Bingo Licenses

The Town Clerk, on behalf of the Town and New York State Racing and Wagering Board, processes the applications for Games of Chance and Bingo Licenses. Prior to obtaining said licenses, an organization must first apply for and receive an identification number. Specific details for this process may be obtained from the New York State Racing & Wagering Board at

Handicap Parking Permits

Applicants for Handicapped Parking Permits must obtain the Parking Permit in the Town that they reside. Parking Permits are issued to the person, NOT the vehicle. Only one Parking Permit per applicant. The application is available at the Town Municipal Center or visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website at and complete form MV-664.1.

Applicants must complete the top portion. Part II, Medical Certification must be completed and signed by an appropriate physician prior to obtaining your permit. Bring the completed application to the Town Clerk's office with a drivers license or a signed affidavit if you do not possess a drivers license.

FOIL Requests

Freedom of Information Request are to be presented in writing to the office of the Town Clerk. A written response will be provided within 5 business days.

Send mail to webmaster with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright   2021 Town of Argyle