History of Argyle, New York
Comprising about 35,000 acres of land, lies close to the center of Washington county between the Adirondacks and the Green Mountains of Vermont. The patent of Argyle was granted march 13th, 1764. Some of the first settlers arrived in 1738 from Argyllshire, Scotland. The name of Argyle was given because the settlers were all from the shire of Argyle in Scotland. Up to the time of the revolution, population growth was very slow. In 1771 there were only 90 voters in the entire patent. By 1790 the total population had grown to 2341 and there were 299 homes. Argyle at this time had the largest population of any town in the county by 100 people. Argyle like the rest of America is a melting pot of races since its beginning and not pure Scottish community like it is often pictured. Today the population hovers around 3688 according to the US census figures.
Send mail to
with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2019
Town of Argyle